closed between 1927 and 1969?
grid reference TM 420 903
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
last updated 07/06/2015
An old coaching inn dating from the 16th century.
The pub appears on the 1927 OS map but has disappeared by the 1969 sheet, so presumably closed between those dates.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in May 1810 states that :
To be sold by auction. All the substantial messuage called the Angel Inn, near the Market Place, Beccles, now in the occupation of the proprietor Mr J Stevens, declining business; comprising 6 chambers, 2 parlours, kitchen bar, good cellars, brew house, a cottage, 2 good stables with hay lofts, and outbuildings, large yard, all entire to itself; brewing office is complete with good copper, capable of boiling 3 coombs, mash tubs, coolers, under-deck etc. The cellars will contain 17 butts besides barrels etc. The stock in hand, brewing utensils, fixtures in kitchen and bar, etc. To be taken at valuation. The above premises are all freehold, and a considerable trade has been carried on there for these last two years. Possession at Midsummer next.
The Ipswich Journal on 17 Jul 1824 reported the SALE by George Crowe at the Angel Inn of five Freehold Cottages in Bridge Street. All let to tenants from year to year. The Valuation of these occupied Cottages in 1824 was £4-4s.
(information from Allan)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)