Scroll through other Ipswich closed premises
Also listed at Cornhill and corner of Cornhill & Westgate st.
Demolished. This corner was long known as "Bell Corner" and was the scene of laying the first stone of a new pavement in the year 1793, under an act that had been obtained for "paving, lighting, cleansing, and otherwise improving the town of Ipswich****."
Another pub of same name may be mentioned on Museum St.
This premises was listed in the 1844 White's Directory with carriers operating from the inn to Chelmondiston and Shotley. The building was also later called the American Stores before the site was eventually totally redeveloped as Grimwade's gents tailors. Today it is used as a card retail shop.
last updated 24/11/2013
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Old inns of Suffolk by Leonard P Thompson)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** from proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and Natural History, 1888)