Ipswich Duke of Kent
closed November 7th, 1965
last owner Tolly Cobbold
10 Upper Orwell St
grid reference TM 167 445
View in Google Earth
last updated 13/04/2015
After closure, this distinctive pub building was used for many years as a Co-Op Funeral parlour, but has lain empty for some time now.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Oct 1850 states :
To be let, a small public house, the Duke of Kent, situated in Upper Orwell Street, with a stable and convenient enclosed yard, adapted for a person keeping horses, Cabs, and Gigs to let.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from Ipswich licensing records.
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)