Ipswich Saracen's Head
opened 17th century
closed October 30th, 1960
23 St Margaret's Green
grid reference TM 166 447
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
last updated 26/08/2015
Occupying a prominent position on St Margaret's Green, this was one of Ipswich's most ancient inns; one of only 24 listed in a town assessment of 1689. It now houses a business centre.
Also listed at Slone St.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 05 Jan 1745 states :
John Parker, a Sherrif's Officer and Bailiff, late from the George, Hintlesham, has now taken the Saracen's Head in St Margaret's Parish, Ipswich, formerly a well accustomed House.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 07 Sept 1745 states :
John Cunningham, Butcher of Mendlesham, hiring and entering the Saracen's Head in Ipswich, opposite to St Margaret's Green.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 26 Jun in 1830 states that :
Sarecen's Head Inn, St Margarets Green, Ipswich, Reason GOODWYN, Vetinary Surgeon, has taken the above Inn and moved from Woodbridge. He will run both the Inn & his vetinary practice from here.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Sep 1855 states :
Died on the 14th September 1855, aged 81; Robert Bedwell, late of the Saracen's Head, Ipswich, and formerly a farmer, of Henley.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
Closure date from Ipswich licensing records.
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)