grid reference TM 160 447Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 18/09/2017
Ipswich Barley Mowhistorical era: mid 20th century
closed June 6th, 1965
last owner Tolly Cobbold
36 Westgate St
The Barley Mow stood roughly where the Anne Summers shop now stands, it was demolished to make way for the current building.
It's listed in St Matthews Street, High Street and in 1855 as being in "Barley Mow Lane".
Thomas Hooper was the Licensed Victualler around the 1870s. He is entered with his family at this address on the 1871 census, when he was aged about 50.
The pub is shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from Ipswich licensing records.
(historical information supplied by Stephen Borrett)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.