Ipswich Shoulder of Mutton
previously known as Forresters Inn
closed February 10th, 1904
72 Upper Orwell St
grid reference TM 167 443
View in Google Earth
last updated 10/06/2015
The pub closed in 1904 when a license renewal was refused.
Closure date recorded in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923.
Isaac PRATT was Brewer & Innkeeper in 1861; he was also innkeeper of "The Maypole" Ipswich
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on Oct-15 in 1898 states that a full licence was confirmed at the Police Courts for the Shoulder of Mutton, whereas, the owners Tollemache were to surrender the licence on the Admirals Head.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on Nov-19 in 1898 when G Churchyard was landlord states:
"William Harvey, a water cress vendor of Gibson Street was charged with being drunk and disorderly in the Shoulder of Mutton and failing to quit when requested by the landlord Mr G Churchyard. Fined 5s."
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information by Dorothy Loudon)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)