Ipswich Blue Post
previously known as Old Blue Posts, New Blue Posts
closed 1828 circa
284 Woodbridge Rd
grid reference TM 178 451
View in Google Earth
last updated 03/08/2015
Mentioned in a book called "A Brief History of St.John's Parish Ipswich" by Kenneth H. Brown. Now converted to a pair of half timbered cottages.
(Information from Mary Pereira)
A report in Norwich and Bury Post** dated 21 Nov 1827 announced the sale of Acton, Halliday and Studd brewery in June 1828 that also included the following Lot:
A brick built dwelling house and premises abutting turnpike road leading from Ipswich to Woodbridge (formerly the New Blue Posts PH) situate in St Margaret's & St Helen's Ipswich. The house contains a large parlour (formerly the tap room); a front bow-window room (formerly the bar); a front parlour and a back parlour, a kitchen & 2 pantries, a large cellar and 5 chambers. Also a walled yard, a detached backhouse with chamber; a stable for 4 horses and hay chamber; a cart lodge, a boarded hut & yard behind, and a pump of excellent water.
Was the New Blue Posts situated close to the Old Blue Posts or the same building?
A pub was listed as Old Blue Post at 1 Woodbridge Rd. in 1881 census?
Not listed as a beer retailer in the 1932 Kelly's Directory.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** information supplied by Neil Langridge)
Blue posts were often used as an easy means of building identification before street numbering systems became widespread in usage during the 18th cent.