Bungay Three Tuns
previously known as: Tunns innReal Ale
2 Earsham St, NR35 1EG
grid reference TM 336 898
opened 17th cent
music pubSomething we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
- Mon-Sat: 1100-0000
- Sun: 1200-2330
3 changing beers, mainly local
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Bungay is Waveney district
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 18/10/2016
Built on the site of an older building (possibly dating from 1540) that was destroyed by a fire in 1688. Walls in the cellar bar are believed to have been part of Bungay castle.
The pub is often claimed to be the most haunted building in Bungay, supposedly with over 20 ghosts, including a maid who was caught stealing beer and was chained to the wall until she starved to death. In 1969 the pub hired a professional exorcist, Canon Pearce Higgins, who claimed to have got rid of all the ghosts. But allegedly he failed. However, nobody asked by comedian Mark Steel, who recorded a Radio Four programme in Bungay in 2011, had ever seen a ghost in the Three Tuns. But as Canon Higgins was blind, neither did he.
Real draught cider available
Bus stop nearby (see public transport tab for details)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)