grid reference TM 170 440Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 16/05/2018
Ipswich Welcome Sailorhistorical era: mid 20th century
closed 1924 circa
2 Fore Hamlet
This pub was listed at 1 and 2 Fore Hamlet before 1891 and also mentioned as being in Duke Street.
Previously on this site was a pub called the Cock, which has been dated back to 1609, but we do not know if any of this survived to be a part of the later building. The nearby junction was also once known as Cock corner.
The property was not listed in 1932, but the pub was listed in the 1903-1923 Borough Police licensed premises register, so must have closed after 1923.
This pub has since been demolished.
The pub can be seen here on an 1881 map. The Congregational Chapel shown was Grimwade Hall, now part of the residential development that fronts the roundabout between Fore and Back Hamlets.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(census information from Dudley Diaper)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)