Ipswich Bullhistorical era: mid 20th century
closed September 30th, 1961
last owner Cobbold's
35 Key St
grid reference TM 166 441Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 03/09/2016
Now a mix of retail and residential use.
The timber frame of the building dates from the 16th century, though the brick fronting is from the 19th. It was one of Ipswich's most ancient inns; one of only 24 listed in a town assessment of 1689.
A Zeppelin airship destroyed part of the roof on 31st March 1916 and demolished an adjoining cottage killing one man.
This premises was listed in the 1844 White's Suffolk Trades Directory with carriers operating from the inn to Debenham, Gislingham, Halesworth & Stradbroke.
Also listed at Common Quay, John St and Quay.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** in Aug 1810 states that : An announcement of the death on the 4th August 1810, aged 43, Mr Laws, of the Bull Inn, on the Common Quay, Ipswich.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 25 Jun in 1856 states that :
Died, on 17.06.1856: Mrs Susanah HITCHCOCK, aged 76, many years landlady of the Coffee House Inn, Sudbury, & mother of Mrs SPURGIN of the Bull Inn, Ipswich.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from Ipswich licensing records.
(information from Dudley Diaper)
(detailed information from Old inns of Suffolk by Leonard P Thompson)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)