Bungay King's Head
Market Place, NR35 1AF
grid reference TM 336 898
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 22/02/2016
Found closed with everything but the bar counter removed when visited late June 2015. In February 2016 it was announced that the building had been bought by the Bungay Castle Trust and was going to be turned into a museum and heritage centre.
A prominent town centre hotel which had 15 letting rooms and à la carte menu in the restaurant. There was live music at weekends.
The building dates from the early 18th century, though there was an inn on the site since the 16th century. The original building, along with much of the town centre, was destroyed in the Great Fire of Bungay in March 1688.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA members since 1978)