Ipswich White Lionhistorical era: mid 20th century
24 Bridge St
grid reference TM 163 439Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 12/04/2015
Located on the south bank of the Orwell, close to the water's edge on Bridge Street, immediately to the west of Stoke Bridge. It first appears in Ipswich borough records in 1562 during the reign of Elizabeth I (reigned 1558 - 1603) when the owner was a "Mr. MADOCKE" and it was noted "water at back gate". It appears not to have been a very large house at that time.
The pub building was demolished in 1924 when the Stoke bridge was widened.
It has been reported to have closed in 1913, but the Borough Police licensed premises register still listed it as late as 1923, so the earlier date may be incorrect.
Also listed at Dock St (1839) and at Stoke St.
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** on Oct-24 in 1838 when Mr Hamblin was the landlord states that :
Six young men left Harwich in a galley boat belonging to Mr Hamblin of the White Lion Inn, Ipswich. When they reached Shotley Point a sudden squall came on them and upset the boat. The accident was observed by the mate of an Ipswich Trader, Thomas Cooper, who gave immediate assistance. Cooper rescued 3 brothers named Lea but could not save Henry Sharman who was entangled in the rigging. The body of the fifth man, Henry's brother Robert, was not seen nor found.
The pub was rebuilt in 1819 and from 1835 to 1873 was run by a Noah HAMBLING.
In 1823 - 24, its owner/publican was a T. TAYLOR.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jan 1825 states that :
To be sold by auction the White Lion, with stable, yard, and wharf adjoining, freehold, situated in the parish of St. Peter's, Ipswich, at the foot of Stoke Bridge, and on the banks of the river.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Dec 1825 states :
Died on the 15th December 1825, Charles, the youngest son of Mr Taylor, of the White Lion, St Peterâ€™s, Ipswich.
They may have been listed as the Red Lion, 24 St Peter's St. in the 1861 census.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Apr 1880 states that : Died on the 20th May 1880, Noah Hambling, landlord of the White Lion, Bridge Street, Ipswich.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Peter S. Wyant)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)