Halesworth White Lion
previously known as Blue Boar, Lyon
closed November 22nd, 1964
grid reference TM 386 774
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 18/08/2015
Built some time in the 16th century. Documents from 1590 record "Ye Lyone Inne".
Also historically listed at Pound St (1839 - 1900) and 39 Thoroughfare (1912).
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Mar 1865 states that :
To be sold by auction, Lot 1, that old established and well frequented Inn, known as the White Lion, in Halesworth, situated at the west entrance of the town, containing bar, 2 parlours, kitchen, 6 bedrooms, back kitchen, washhouse, brick stable and loft, cart sheds, and a large productive walled in garden. There is a weekly market held upon these premises for the sale of pigs, calves, poultry, and neat stock.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jan 1875 states :
At the Halesworth Petty Sessions of January 1875, the license for the White Lion, Halesworth, was transferred from Robert Keep to William Smith.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)