The St (B1456)
grid reference TM 221 362
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 29/03/2016
Closure date unknown, but listed in the Orwell licensing records at least as late as 1973.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
The sign was usually of a long military boot made famous by the Duke of Wellington. In 1830 he was Prime Minister when the the Beer Act was introduced to help create Beer Houses - a new lower tier of premises permitted to sell alcohol. Under the 1830 Act any householder who paid rates could apply, with a one-off payment of two guineas, to sell beer or cider in their home (usually the front parlour) and even brew on the premises. The permission did not extend to the sale of spirits or fortified wines.