23 Bridge St, NR35 1HD
grid reference TM 337 898
opened 17th cent
- 1200-1400 (not Wed, Sun)
5 changing beers, mainly local
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Bungay is Waveney district
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 22/05/2016
Situated close to the town centre, this inn dates from the 17th Century. Decorated to a high standard, but retaining its original timber frame, wood panelling and doors. It consists of two rooms separated by an archway with TV screens in both rooms for sporting events. There is an array of water jugs above the bar. Ample parking is available adjacent to a partially covered area leading to a paved beer garden. Real ales are sourced from local breweries.
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Pub sells beer from local brewers
Traditional pub games available
Pub is accessible to disabled customers
Bus stop nearby (see public transport tab for details)
WiFi available (a charge may apply)
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
The Chequers sign is an ancient sign probably brought to England by the Romans. Later the sign became associated with a money table e.g. an exchequer or type of chessboard. Some pubs displayed the sign to indicate that they would change money or acted as bankers in some way.