Woodbridge Queen's Head
also traded as as: Marinershistorical era: mid 20th century
closed November 31st, 1960 (1957 circa)
last owner Cobbold's
70 Seckford St
grid reference TM 268 491Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 29/12/2016
The pub dates from the 16th or 17th century, with early 19th century façade.
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Queen's Head's license was issued in 1843. Whether this was when it was first licensed or when it got a full (ie not just beer) license isn't clear, though the latter seems more probable.
It closed in 1960 when the landlord died. Cobbold's decided that since there were four other pubs nearby, there was no point in it continuing to trade (information from the licensing records).
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from Woodbridge licensing records.
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** street names from a pamphlet called "A DESCRIPTIVE ACCOUNT OF “WOODBRIDGE INNS" by V. B. REDSTONE)