Yaxley Bull Innhistorical era: late 20th century
opened 16th cent
Main Rd (A140)
grid reference TM 115 724Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Mid-Anglia branch.
last updated 12/04/2016
Once a popular lively local, but now a restaurant.
The building dates from the late 16th century.
A reference in the Ipswich Journal*** on 27 Apr 1734 to the Yaxley Bull.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 03 Jun in 1837 stated that Robert Koipe COBBOLD of the Eye Brewery was retiring from business & was looking to sell various Inns & Public Houses including the Bull, Yaxley.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jan 1840 states :
A man named Orford, in the service of Mr Finbow, of Bacton, was ploughing a field when he turned up a brass candlestick, a silver watch, and a quantity of silver spoons, punch ladle, sugar tongs, and a variety of other things, which were identified as articles stolen from the Bull at Yaxley in 1827. The crime had been committed by three men from Bacton, Peachy, Alexander, and Leabon who were found guilty for another robbery in Wetherden, for which they were transported for life.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Nearby Bulls Hall is a G2 listed former farmhouse, constructed between 1530 & 1580. Although sub-divided in 18th cent Bulls Hall is still a fine example of a substantially complete C16 timber-framed former farmhouse. Site dates from the 14th cent. after William de Bulle who was given the manor by the King.