Woolpit SwanNo Real Ale
The Street, IP30 9QN
grid reference TL 973 623
opened 1625, possibly earlier
owner Punchemail us
- Tue-Sat: 1200-1500, 1800-2300
- Closed Sun, Mon
- 1200-1400, 1830-2100
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Woolpit is Mid Suffolk
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 17/04/2017
Parts of the pub date from the 15th century with a carriage arch providing a reminder of earlier (coaching) times.
The first authentic inn record dates from 1625 but part of the building may date back to the 14th century. With few travellers passing through the village then, it was thought to have been an alehouse. Following extensive building work in 1759, the Inn started taking overnight guests and during the French wars in the 19th century it was used to billet soldiers and their horses. Further extensions and renovations were carried out in 1826 and the present brick front (Woolpit red bricks) was added about then.
West Suffolk Camra reported in March 2017 that the pub is converting to keg-only.
Traditional pub games available
Bus stop nearby (see public transport tab for details)
Railway station about 1.9 mile away (see public transport tab for details)
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)