grid reference TL 974 622
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 26/09/2015
This was a distinctive small single bar pub with no cellar - beers were sold from a gravity stillage until they stopped selling real ale. Now residential.
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** on Aug-20 in 1828 when Heston Fenton was the landlord states that:
Sarah Davis and Ann Smith were convicted of uttering counterfeit coin to Hester Fenton, of the Plough Inn, Woolpit. Constable John Rednall found Smith in a tent in bed with a man named Joseph Mead. Under their bed he found, on removing a piece of turf which had recently been cut, a parcel of coin, (which, on being examined by a Mr Gudgeon, silversmith, was pronounced bad.) Smith and Davis were sentenced to 12 months imprisonment.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)