Woodbridge Old Mariner
previously known as Mariner's Arms, Ye Olde Mariner's Arms, Tap & Spile
26 New St, IP12 1DX
grid reference TM 273 491
(details under review)
- 12-3, 5-11; 11-midnight Fri & Sat
- 12-10.30 Sun
- 12-2.30 (lunchtimes only)
regular real ales
Adnams Bitter, Shepherd Neame Spitfire, Black Sheep Bitter, Youngs Bitter + guest beer [H]
View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Woodbridge is Suffolk Coastal
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 30/01/2016
Traditional, two roomed bar close to town centre, which also offers food alongside a range of well presented ales. All real ales now served on gravity from new cellar area. The front bar has scrubbed tables & a low ceiling whilst rear bar is quieter & gives access to a separate seating area, garden & car-park (off Castle Street). Smoking area and car-park to rear.
Nearby the Castle Brewery was owned by William Lockwood (later Lockwood & Co) from 1844 until it closed in 1912.
Beer served through handpulls
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Traditional separate public bar
Traditional pub games available
Real coal or log fire
Dogs are welcome
Children are welcome
Pub is accessible to disabled customers
Bus stop nearby (see public transport tab for details)
Railway station about 0.4 mile away (see public transport tab for details)
WiFi available (a charge may apply)
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Tap & Spile was created as a national chain of themed and heavily branded pubs - created from existing selected pubs usually owned by the former Pubmaster pub group. Initially these pubs were very popular and able to offer a very wide range of real ales though in later years the beer range was increasingly restricted. In Suffolk there were just 3 pubs - in Ipswich, Felixstowe (Walton) and Woodbridge.