previously known as Cross Quays, Red Cross, Cross Quay
opened 17th century or earlier
2 Church St, IP12 1DH
grid reference TM 272 489
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
last updated 18/08/2015
A former two bar pub which is located adjacent to the Town Cross where it would have been the custom in ancient days for locals to meet in order to obtain news from the travellers who descended from their coach, or to hearken to the words of a local preacher.
Now an "American-style diner".
NB Not to be confused with another Cross in the town, called Roger's Cross, located where the King's Arms once stood.
Although 1652 is marked on the building, it is thought to be considerably older than this. The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Cross's license was issued in 1652.
Listed at Stone Street in 1830.
The Inn flourished as The Red Cross in 1652, when Thomas Garthwaite and Elizabeth his wife left by will The Red Cross Inn to provide clothing for poor women and children living in the parish of Blaxhall. Thomas Garthwaite, curate of St. Lawrence, Ipswich, in 1617 was rector of Blaxhall 1652. The landlord of The Cross in 1762 was John Harris (rental £12)
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Dec 1830 states that : Monday died, at Woodbridge, Mr Francis Moore, of the Cross Inn.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(extracts from a town pub booklet written by David Hague which also includes extracts from Booth's Almanac of 1899)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)