Scroll through other Woodbridge licensed (non-pub) premises
Town centre hotel which includes an elegant new wine bar and restaurant.
The building dates from the early 19th century.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(extracts from a town pub booklet written by David Hague which also includes extracts from Booth's Almanac of 1899)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Name may be a sympathetic reference to a Papal bull - a lead seal attached to official religious edicts or documents - or a reference to Henry VIII who introduced a bulls head into his coat-of-arms after he defied a papal bull in 1538. Bull baiting was also quite widespread until it was banned in 1835.