closed Between 1997 and 2007
grid reference TL 657 480
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 04/03/2016
This pub was recorded as open in the Suffolk CAMRA pub guide published in 1997, but was found closed when visited in June 2007. We don't know with any better accuracy than that when it actually closed.
A report in the Bury & Norfolk Post & Suffolk Herald** on 03 Apr in 1883 gives reference to "CORNELL's Beer House", Withersfield.
Details of pub premises belonging to the Kedington Brewery estate sold, along with the brewery buildings, by auction 13 July 1883***.
Withersfield: In-Door Beer-House *
Abutting the high road, leading from Haverhil to Thurlow.
The House contains: Tap room, Keeping Room, Parlour, Back Kitchen, Cellar, Pantry and 5 Bed Rooms.
The Out-buildings comprise: Stable, 2 Cart Sheds and Piggeries and gardens front and rear with fruit trees.
Let to Mr. Stephen Cornell.
*[Footnote: although not named in this sales document this Public House appears later named the Fox and with the same landlord]
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(***Original source of documentation - Suffolk Records Office – transcribed by Graham Nunn)