Wherstead Oyster Reach
previously known as Ostrich
Bourne Hill, IP2 8ND
grid reference TM 161 418
(details under review)
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Wherstead is Babergh
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 17/04/2016
For a long while this was a popular small late drinking venue just outside Ipswich town borough (when Ipswich pubs still closed at 10.30pm). Now a massive motel extension (built a few years ago) has helped to transform the business and today the remaining bar area is more popular with diners.
The current usage of the Oyster Reach name only dates from 1995, though historically this was the original name of the pub, due to the oyster beds on that part of the Orwell. At some time, the original name became corrupted to the Ostrich.
The oldest part of the pub (adjacent to Bourne Hill) dates from the 16th or 17th century, though it has been much altered and added to. According to Alfred Hedges' book, "Inns and Inn Signs of Norfolk and Suffolk", the inn has been in existence since 1612.
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Restaurant or separate dining area
Separate public bar
Pub is accessible to disabled customers
Bus stop nearby (see public transport tab for details)
Railway station about 1.70 mile away (see public transport tab for details)
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic book information from Bob Mitchell)
Oyster beds were once quite common along the river estuary and a popular local food - whilst the earlier name could be a reference to the coat of arms of Sir Edmund Coke (1552-1633) an eminent Elizabeathan lawyer and former speaker in the House of Commons and local land-owner.