Wetheringsett White Horse
also traded as as: Cat & Mousehistorical era: late 20th century
White Horse Green
grid reference TM 144 652Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
Wetheringsett is part of the Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford parish
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 04/11/2016
The White Horse closed in May 1985. The Cat & Mouse opened 1 Dec 1985 and lasted about 8 years. Now residential.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 03 Jun in 1837 stated that Robert Koipe COBBOLD of the Eye Brewery was retiring from business & was looking to sell various Inns & Public Houses including the White Horse, Wetheringset.
A CAMRA local pub guide in 1992 described the pub as follows:
The interior has a cottage-like feel, with extremely low beams. To the left of the entrance is a tiny parlour room with (bench seats and) a serving hatch in the wall. The main bar, with its flagstone floor lies to the right of this (towards the rear of property) and although more roomy is still liable to get packed - such is the popularity of the pub. An adjoining room to rear of the bar serves as a family area (with board games, sofas and comfy chairs).
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)