An offshoot of Stowmarket, this mainly modern but pleasant settlement is a winner of the Suffolk Village of the award.
A tower mill stood on Thorney Green until it was demolished about 1921.
A significant part of central and eastern Stowmarket was historically in Stowupland until a boundary change in 1934. This means that a number of Stowmarket pubs (close to Railway station) have been listed in the past as being in this parish. These include the Hop Pole, Railway Tavern, Kings Arms, Duke of Wellington and Pickerell. A map showing the boundary change can be found at A Vision of Britain (click on the "Historic boundaries" link to generate it
Estimated population (2009) of Stowupland: 2020
Local licensing authority for Stowupland is Mid Suffolk
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)