One of a group of settlements to south of Bungay known collectively as "the Saints", which were recorded in Domesday variously as "Almeham", "Almaham", "Elmeham" and "Halmeham. Mill Lane marks the location of a post mill which was moved here in 1864. It was mostly demolished in 1923, but the remains can still be seen.
At 51m above sea level, St James is reportedly the highest village in the east of the county.
Estimated population (2009) of St James South Elmham: 200
Local licensing authority for St James South Elmham is Waveney district
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.