The brewery was built in about 1850 beside the Chequers and demolished after the owner was convicted of not paying church taxes in 1867.
The 1851 Census lists James Brighton Grant (Brewer Master, Low St., brewery not named, Head/Married/30/born Kettleburgh)
In 1855 Whites Directory James Brighton Grant is listed as a brewer & maltster.
The 1861 Census lists James Brighton Grant (Maltster, Brewer & Corn & Coal Merchant, Low St., not named, Head/Married/40/born Kettleburgh)
In 1865 Jas. Brighton Grant is listed as a brewer & maltster.